October 11, 2011

Night #4 - hello sleep, my old friend

It was nothing short of amazing. We approached night #4 expecting more crying, my pillow and blanket were ready and waiting on the couch. A late nap (that one in the car until 4:50) meant bedtime was delayed a bit but by 8:00 DH had tiger in his crib. I went downstairs to do work. DH put Tiger in his crib and gave him the bottle. He sat drinking it for a bit. I heard hom talking for a while (babble babble) then he laid down and flopped around getting comfortable. He was asleep by 8:30! A few cries but really no crying. But that wasn't the best part. I went to bed at 10:30 fully expecting to end up on the couch when Tiger woke. At one point- maybe midnight or so- Tiger woke up and cried a little bit but softly, more whining then crying. I let it go to see what would happen and within 2 minutes, he was back to sleep. The next time I woke up, Tiger was up standing in his crib crying for real. I grumbled, I was so tired I assumed it was only 2 or 3 in the morning.
It was then I felt my left boob - ol' lefty is my overproducer. Has always given more milk than it's smaller right counterpart. Tiger had nursed a lot less during the day and had gone 4 1/2 hours at the end of the day skipping his 4:30 feeding (when I usually get home from work). It was a holiday so I'd spent all day with him, but he'd nursed less and been less clingy than usual. He hadn't fully nursed at bedtime either so I had hand expressed lefty before bed knowing I was headed for trouble (bad weekend to forget my pump at work!). Anyway, I felt my boob and it was HUGE. Like Dolly Parton huge! And hard as a rock! Boob Emergency! I looked at the clock and...it was 5am!!! He'd done it! Slept 8 1/2 hours! I quickly picked Tiger up praising him for sleeping so long and he latched into lefty drinking loudly. It took a good 10 minutes, but he saved me from the perils of mastitis and nursed another 5-10 on the right. DH woke up and looked at the time "did he just sleep through the night?" DH asked. "yes!!" DH praised Tiger too. We laid down in bed and Tiger rolled into me snuggling but not nursing and fell asleep! A true joy - my heart soared. Just snuggling, his little hand wrapped around my arm. A week ago, hell, a few nights ago he couldn't be that close without nursing.
I went to pee and when I came back, starfish baby had taken over my side of the bed. Instead of just scooting him over, I got greedy and tried to put him back in the crib. No dice. He cried and stood up. So I took him back in bed and told him it was ok, he'd slept through the night so he could spend the morning in bed. He nursed and we had a little tussle when I did the countdown and detached him, but eventually he rolled over and slept until 7:20. I was up getting ready when he called for help climbing out of bed. He was beaming. I praised him again for sleeping all night without nursing and told him what a big boy he was. Grinning, he said "I did it!". Yes, Tiger, you did it. We all did.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! :) So happy that he did it! :) Great job to all of you! And I'm glad you are finally blogging! About time you joined in! Haha! :)

    ReplyDelete