December 30, 2011

Quoth Eddie Murphy - "Merry New Year!"

Just a quick post to round out the 2011 year and welcome in the new year of 2012.  First off - shouldn't we have flying cars by now?
A link to a lovely post and my favorite blog (I admit she's a dear friend as well) regarding new year's aspirations vs. resolutions.  I've never been much good at the resolutions game and always end up beating myself up when my resolve gives in and they fall by the wayside weeks or months after January 1.  Aspirations leave room for growth, flexibility and gentleness with ourselves on those days when we come up short.   They are less finite and concrete than goals such as " lose weight, get a new job, sell the house or have another baby").  Those have their place too, but may be a little heavy handed as we say goodbye to one year and welcome another.   Aspirations won't necessarily be something you check off your list as having accomplished or not next new years.  They're a work in progress.  But if we set those intentions every day- we've already taken a huge step.
Without further ado, a short list of my aspirations for 2012:
  • Be more gentle and kind with myself - the only way I can manifest these traits with my son and husband as well
  • Basic shamatha meditation - short but consistent practice sessions - to work with my mind and try and loosen the hold of those kleshas that seem to run my life.  (family meditation time a couple times a week has been going great! The space is a great one for Tiger to be in and he's been responding well.)
  • Let go of my endless list of urgent "to do's" in favor of responding to the emotional needs of those around me in the moment- which are far more important than getting the laundry done, even though it might not feel like it sometimes.
  • Taking care of my needs (even small ones like a pedicure or a haircut) before I reach critical mass
  • Less technology (!!)
  • Work joyfully toward growing my doula business and expand by becoming a childbirth educator as well

What are your aspirations for this new year? Do you make resolutions and if so, do you find them to be helpful?

May you be able to reflect on the last year, celebrate all that is past - the difficult and the joyous, and rest in the present moment as we straddle one year and move into the next.  Merry New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment